1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 F, and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty. Stir in pepper, onion, and garlic.
3. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
4. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
5. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
Yield: 4 servings