1 butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 (16 ounce) package rotini pasta
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups milk
6 ounces shredded white Cheddar cheese
6 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place butternut squash, cut-side down, on a baking sheet.
3. Roast squash in the preheated oven until soft, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove squash flesh from skin and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375F.
4. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; cook the rotini at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes and drain.
5. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk flour and mustard into melted butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk milk into flour mixture until the mixture has the texture of heavy cream, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onion powder, stir, and remove from heat.
6. Stir butternut squash, white Cheddar cheese, and Cheddar cheese into milk mixture until cheese is melted. Stir rotini into cheese mixture. Pour cheese mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish. Top with bread crumbs.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until bread crumbs are golden, about 10 minutes.
Yield: 10 servings