By Jason Crane –
Mayor of Aurora, Richard Irvin, Council members, City of Aurora government employees, and members of the community shared what could be deemed a night of hope at the Aurora City Council meeting Tuesday.
• Aurora mural artist Sam Cervantes was honored for his volunteer work with the community and recent mural named Hope Wings Aurora. Mayor Irvin proclaimed Sam’s birthday, February 13, as Sam Cervantes Day in Aurora.
• October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and survivors were honored. See below.
• The Marie Wilkinson Food Pantry was honored for hope it provides with its East Aurora Food Pantry and Food 4 Students program. See pages 1 and 9. The pantry’s Taste of Fox Valley, Fill the Bowls fundraiser is October 28.
• Postponed for another two weeks was the resolution to approve a Memorandum of Understanding with Smart City Media, LLC of New York, N.Y. for the installation, operation and revenue sharing of interactive outdoor kiosks using the City Post smart media platform. City of Aurora government officials have agreed to meet with concerned downtown business owners.
All 15 items following items on the consent agenda were approved to include:
• A resolution to authorize the expenditure of up to $300,000 for conversion of 639 existing lighting fixtures to LED utilizing the bids accepted March 21, 2017.
• A Resolution authorizing the approval of a lease agreement and memorandum of the lease agreement between the City of Aurora and Verizon Wireless for the lease of space on a City-owned communication tower located at 2239 Diehl Rd, Aurora, Illinois.
• A Resolution to Award the contract for the Benton Street Sanitary Sewer Pipe Bursting & Manhole Modification project to Benchmark Construction Co., Inc. 2260 Southwind Blvd. Bartlett, IL 60103 in the amount of one hundred seventy-four thousand dollars and zero cents ($174,000.00).
• A Resolution Approving the Reauthorization of Funds to Seize the Future Development Foundation for Downtown Building Rehabilitation Projects Known as the Finish Line Grant Program.
• A Resolution accepting the improvements and waiving the maintenance security for Hometown of Farnsworth – Mass Earthwork.
• A Resolution for accepting the improvements and waiving the maintenance period for Hometown of Farnsworth – Ph1 Public Improvements.
• A Resolution Authorizing an Agreement with Group Alternatives, Inc. to Provide Benefit Consulting Services For the Period of January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2021.
• A Resolution Accepting the Dedication of an Easement for Fox Valley Center Drive, being Unit One of Fox Valley East, Region 1 Subdivision, Parcel 1 and 2 (City of Aurora – 18-0841 / NA21/4-18.180-DED/E – SB – Ward 10)
• A Resolution establishing the maximum number of Class E City of Aurora liquor licenses (unofficially related to application from: JAS Bar & Grille Inc. d/b/a AC’s Pub, 2124 W. Galena Blvd., Aurora).
• A Resolution to award a contract to Copenhaver Construction, Inc. in the amount of $84,160.00 for the Borealis Terrace Driveway, sidewalk, and drainage improvements project.
• A Resolution to award a contract to H. Linden & Sons Sewer and Water, Inc. in the amount of $45,872.00 for the 2018 Ditch Grading Project.
• A Resolution to purchase an Eagle Air Talon II self-contained breathing air (SCBA) compressor and fill station, in the amount of $48,553.00 from SCBAS Inc., of Washington, IL.
• A Resolution authorizing payment to the Fox River Study Group to conduct water quality studies of the Fox River and implement a plan for improving water quality.
• A Resolution to approve the ratification for payment and expenses for the remainder of 2018 Fox Valley Ford/Gerald Ford for various automotive repairs to Aurora’s fleet.